Thursday, July 7, 2011

Newborns--Do They Hear Us?

  I was on a walk with Alexis the other day and we were a few paces behind a mother with a newborn. I am talking alien-faced, barely-10-lbs, still-red-and-wrinkled newborn. For the record, mom looked good. I wouldn't judge her if she looked bad, but damn she looked amazing. Amazing. Anyway, there was a family of ducks swimming in the water hole and we both stopped to look and discuss with our children.

  Alexis was watching and talking about what she was seeing. I have to admit I wasn't listening to my child at all. I was totally wrapped up in my compatriot. The other mom was describing everything to her infant. She was mentioning the colors of the ducks, the sounds of the family, the babble of the water, the slight breeze that was blowing, the warmth of the sun, etc. It was incredible. She was eloquent and descriptive. The way she explained senses and feelings was pure poetry. I was mesmerized by her detailed prose. Even Alexis ceased babbling for a brief second to listen. This woman had me hanging on her every word, wanting to answer her questions about what I was seeing and hearing and experiencing.

  And her baby was asleep through all of it. But what a fantastic teacher he has to guide him for his many awake moments in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment