Thursday, July 7, 2011

Who Created Moon Sand?

  Moon Sand is this magical sand that is for the indoors. It never dries out, it is highly moldable, and comes in bright fun colors. Alexis got the Bake Shop set for her birthday, which has pink, purple, and white sand, plus some extra blue sand. Needless to say, all her sand is now purple, which she loves. Everyday Alexis wants to make cupcakes with frosting, tarts with fruit, and big cakes. She molds them and then takes them over to her IKEA kitchen to bake on her cookie sheet. She uses an old house phone as her business line and ends each call with "Thank you for your business, bye bye!". So creative, clever, and non-weather dependent.


  I despise Moon Sand. It is sand, so it gets into everything. Every crack. Every crevice. Under fingernails. Between toes. I cannot sweep it up. I try repeatedly, but I just cannot get it all. Also, Alexis wants me to play it with her every time. I am the master baker, stirring the sand in the stand mixer. Forming all the minuscule treats and adhering their frosting caps. Patting the tarts and creating the large cakes, making the flower decorations to place on the top. Then I need to pretend to eat them and gush over how fabulous they are. Finally, I make half the pretend phone calls to Daddy so he can order custom-made treats "for pick-up or delivery?".


  Alexis needs to learn how to play with this onerous toy on her own. I don't mind doing it with her occasionally, but it would be much better if this was a solo endeavor on her part. I don't need to develop my fine motor skills or use this as an outlet for my creative genius. I would like to leave those things up to Alexis. I will ooh and ahh over her lovely desserts and even be her delivery woman, but I want to leave my fingers out of the Moon Sand!


  So far, Moon Sand might just be the world's worst invention. And my 2 year old loves it.

1 comment:

  1. Omigosh, I do not think I can tolerate this Moon Sand stuff in my house!

    It does sound like fun for the kids though :)

    ReplyDelete