Sunday, July 10, 2011

Swimming

  What is it about splashing, digging, sunny days, and hot weather that tuckers us out? My child and husband are currently napping upstairs, a common occurrence after a beach day. The house is quiet, peaceful, and cool. Unlike this morning which began in chaos.

  What is it about getting ready to swim that is so chaotic and disorganized? Swimsuits are scattered, sunscreen is always practically empty, and sand toys are not in the tote bag in the car (who moved them?!). Alexis whines about what snacks she wants while I am trying to locate everything, pack bags, and tug on my swim shorts, all while finishing the last of the blessed coffee. Should we just plan a picnic lunch? I positively answer my own question and proceed to add "pack picnic lunch" to my growing beach day to-do list. Nick offers to help with anything, but explaining to him exactly what I want done would take as long as me just doing it (right?).

  I keep checking the clock because the 7-minute-away beach opens at 9:00 and all the good shady spots are usually taken quickly. I don't want to get there too much after 9:00 or we will be relegated to the boiling sunny sandy patches. Load the chairs, pack the cooler, bag the snacks, remember water for everyone, take 3 towels, and throw in changes of clothing for everyone. Oh my God, sunscreen Alexis before we get in the car so it has time to set before she washes it off in the water hole! Finally, something Nick can do. I wonder if he will remember to use the stick on her face and not just spray the aerosol around her eyes and mouth?

  Everyone is ready, let's go! Wait! I need to grab my book, just in case Alexis plays by herself for a few blissful minutes so I can enjoy some leisure time of my own at the beach. Okay, we're off. Whew, we will only be a few minutes late.

  We pull in to a deserted parking lot, no one is at the beach yet at 9:21. I have never had such choice with the umbrellas! Which shady spot do we want? The one close to the bathrooms? Or the one that the shade reaches down to the water? Do we want one that is near the lifeguard stand? Very tough decisions. Finally after much deliberating (does Nick even like me at these moments?), we head to a shaded spot. We unpack and begin to play. I don't need my book, we barely take a break to eat lunch, and the sunscreen likely washes off on contact with the water. Eventually, at 1:15 we decide to call it a day and head home.

But what a fun day. So relaxing! Now what to plan for this afternoon?

No comments:

Post a Comment